[mythtv-users] Re:nForce2 motherboards

Vinton Coffman vintonc at redzone.com
Sun Oct 19 12:54:58 EDT 2003

 > Oy, that's some ugliness. I've had dual recordings going, watching
 > another one, and no problems. ACPI is also enabled. This is a Red
 > Hat/ATrpms 2.4.20 kernel (remember, RH back-ports like mad). Out of
 > curiosity, why didn't you ever try the Red Hat kernels?!? The whole
 > experience has been painless for me, though perhaps it wouldn't have
 > been w/an earlier BIOS...

I like having control over what modules are built into the kernel or
built as modules.  Kernels at kernel.org have all of the changes listed
so if you're looking for something to get fixed or have support added,
its easy to find.  The kernels are most likely available sooner since I
heard someone say RH back ports changes to earlier kernels.  As I
mentioned earlier, I use RH for work so I'm always building custom
kernels to make sure specific chipsets and options are included.

 > The ATC-620 has better LEDs (rather, it has two to the 610's one, a
 > power and an HD activity) and front-panel audio jacks. It also comes
in
 > the different colors. I have the ATC-620C-BX1 (black) variety. If I'm
 > recalling correctly, the 610 also has a sorta flimsy shiny plastic
 > shell, while the 620 has a nice solid powder-coated metal shell, which
 > I personally like much better (far more durable, less distracting).

The main difference between the two is the 610 has all aluminum case w/
a brush anodized face plate and cost about $109 at newegg.com.  The
shell is aluminum and does have a glossy black metal-flake finish.  The
glossy finish is not noticeable if you're putting it in a entertainment
center.  The 620 is steel construction with the brushed aluminum face
plate and costs ~$80 but newegg doesn't  have it.  Neither come with a
power supply so its not a cheap solution but either will look great.

Vinton