[mythtv-users] Re:nForce2 motherboards

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sun Oct 19 03:57:21 EDT 2003

On Saturday, Oct 18, 2003, at 21:14 US/Pacific, Vinton Coffman wrote:

> >To Vinton: Did you have audio upon original install before upgrade to
> >2.4.22?
>
> Yes, I did start with 2.4.21-rc2 though.  I use Linux as work and
> usually run the latest release.  I'm still not using 2.6 yet though.
> I don't believe I tied the RedHat kernels.  I did have sound before
> installing alsa with the nvidia driver.

Everything is peachy here for me with Red Hat (ATrpms) kernels, coupled
w/the nForce2 drivers from nvidia.

> > What kind of problems did you have with ACPI? I have an nforce2
> > motherboard and I am having a few problems, but no crashes, and I
> have
> > ACPI enabled. However I have no indication that it is related to the
> > problems. Just wondering what to look for.
>
> I think I was actually have two problems.  Other nForce2 users
> reported having issues with certain brands of memory and the BIOS
> update is supposed to fix that.  I was having lockups under high dma
> usage when watching a previously recorded show and recording a new
> one.  It locked sometimes just while recording.  The BIOS upgrade
> decreased the frequency of the lockups.  Oh, by lockups I mean
> completely frozen, have to power cycle, even CTRL-ALT-DELETE didn't
> work.  Disabling ACPI at boot time didn't work either.
>
> Kernel 2.4.22 gives you nForce IDE support and stability.  I haven't
> had any lockups since disabling ACPI and IO-APCI in the kernel.  I'm
> waiting for 2.4.23 to stabilize to see if it fixes ACPI for the this
> board.

Oy, that's some ugliness. I've had dual recordings going, watching
another one, and no problems. ACPI is also enabled. This is a Red
Hat/ATrpms 2.4.20 kernel (remember, RH back-ports like mad). Out of
curiosity, why didn't you ever try the Red Hat kernels?!? The whole
experience has been painless for me, though perhaps it wouldn't have
been w/an earlier BIOS...

> I'm going to get one of the Gyrations wireless keyboards (25 ft
> range), so I'll re-enable USB for that.

Oh yeah. I also have USB (1.1 and 2.0) enabled, and I've been using a
Gyration wireless keyboard and mouse without problems.

> BTW, if you want a beautiful A/V style case, check out the
> CoolerMaster ATC-610.  It comes in black, silver and gold.

The ATC-620 has better LEDs (rather, it has two to the 610's one, a
power and an HD activity) and front-panel audio jacks. It also comes in
the different colors. I have the ATC-620C-BX1 (black) variety. If I'm
recalling correctly, the 610 also has a sorta flimsy shiny plastic
shell, while the 620 has a nice solid powder-coated metal shell, which
I personally like much better (far more durable, less distracting).

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...