[mythtv-users] Myth playback quality

James L. Paul james at mauibay.net
Sat Oct 18 14:22:05 EDT 2003

D Banerjee wrote:
| I'm pretty sure what you're experiencing is interlaced video, go to
playback
| options and check "deinterlace video"

I don't now if the problem he's seeing is interlaced video or not. I
have a PVR250 (freestyle) and I can certainly see interlacing on fast
moving video. However, I leave deinterlacing turned off because I'd
rather see the occasional interlace artifacts than have the entire image
always fuzzy and soft. Turning on deinterlace makes my picture look
significantly blurry and unfocused. My wife won't even watch it if I
turn that on, so off it goes.

I'm confused about why I see interlace artifacts on a TV anyway. Why
isn't the interlaced source matched to the NTSC video out so that there
is no need to deinterlace? Perhaps there is some capture/output
resolutions settings that this works and I'm just not using them?

Also, if it's an interlacing issue, why would mplayer look good for him
but not Myth? Wouldn't mplayer also display interlace artifacts?

-