[mythtv-users] Re:nForce2 motherboards

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Sat Oct 18 14:20:37 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-10-18 at 12:48, Sean wrote:
> I can't hear audio. None at all. From system start-up to shut down not a
> peep. I have tried nearly everything suggested from installing ALSA
> (which gives a error on depmod about unrecognized symbol for snd.o), to
> installing NVIDIA's trash (shame the software is so bad for such a good
> chipset), to trying to get the Redhat default of i810_audio to work
> (identified on startup, but NO sound). I have checked the mixer settings
> and nothing says its muted (this would be in the panels, I don't know
> the console command to check it).

Okay - to get sound working... first of all, don't use Myth to debug
sound problems.  I'm serious!  Start with something simpler, like xmms
or mpg321 first.  If you can get sound through them, then you'll have a
chance at getting sound through mythtv.  Now... here goes...

> So, coming back to the subject, here is what I am using:
>
> Shuttle MN31N MOBO
> 512MB RAM
> Athlon 2500+
> Redhat 9.0 (upgraded to Axial's Kernel via apt-get)
>
> To Vinton: Did you have audio upon original install before upgrade to
> 2.4.22?

Don't do the kernel upgrade to 2.4.22 yet.  Stick with Axel's kernel.
Don't build ALSA from source.  You'll get the "unrecognized symbol"
error that (and believe me on this) Red Hat is aware of and doesn't
really care about fixing at this point.  Use the ALSA rpms available
using apt-get.  (You did install apt-get according to Jarod's HOWTO,
right? ;) )

Now, you'll need to fix your /etc/modules.conf.

> To ANYONE: How do I go about upgrading the kernel to 2.4.22? I tried
> following the instructions but was still having trouble.

Don't do it yet.  Especially if you're new to Linux.  OTOH, if you've
already got it working...

> Some more info:
>
> my modules.conf file shows the i810_audio module plus the 2 extra
> instruction lines bleow it in accordance with suggestion that I have
> seen that this would solve the problem.

You're going to need to post your /etc/modules.conf here...

	-I

--
                       Ian Forde, RHCE, CCSE, SCNA, SCDME
                       ian at duckland.org / ian at cytben.com