[mythtv-users] Questions on Setup (Kernel, PVR250, and DVD Menus)

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Oct 18 11:35:18 EDT 2003

On Saturday, Oct 18, 2003, at 08:57 US/Pacific, Robert Neel wrote:

> Current Hardware is:
>
> Hauppauge PVR 250
> GeForce FX5200 (Video)
> AMD 2600+
> Ram = 500k

Uh, 500k doesn't quite sound right. I presume you mean 512MB. :)

> Sound = SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Platinum
> RedHat 9
>
> The questions I was looking for some guidance on includ (because of my
> limited knowledge I have had to re-install 5 times .. and that setup
> screen is just getting boring :) ):
>
> 1) When setting up the system I am following the PVR and RedHat Linux
> 9 setup guide
> (http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-page.php?pageName=rh9pvr250).  As part
> of the documentation it suggests downloading a particular Kernel for
> the install (as opposed to doing the upgrade from RedHat) - the
> Kernels are at (http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/dist/rh9/kernel/).
> My question is, does the AMD Athlon XP2600+ need the athlon Kernel, or
> the I686 Kernel?

Athlons are best served by the athlon kernel.

> 2) I had a succesful install, but it suddenly stopped working.  The
> issue I am running into is that the PVR constantly switches to channel
> 2 so all I get is a bunch of lines accross the screen and sound (same
> thing I get if I just switch the tv to channel 2 .. note it is digital
> cable through comcast).  If I go into MythTVSetup, under Tuner 0 for
> the channel, it is 2.  If I change it to three, exit, then come back,
> it is back to 2.  Other settings, however, will take.  This one
> currently has me baffled nad is why I am getting ready for install
> number 6!

Odd. Never had that happen before... What sorts of stuff is showing up
in /var/log/messages and /var/log/dmesg for ivtv?

> 3) I have seen a lot of information on artifacts and jittery video.
> What I am confused about is why on the 5th install I am getting
> artifacts all over the place (when it did work), and on the 4th
> install I got no artifacts.  The only difference between the two
> installs that I know of is 6 hours and in the install where video was
> better it was placed in a seperate directory from the default install.

Changing that setting shouldn't have that dramatic of an impact, so I'd
have to guess it wasn't the only difference in the two installs.

> A friend suggested taking my second spare hard drive, doing a master
> slave setup and formating the second drive with Reiser, then placing
> the video in there.  Will this help? or other ways?

I'm partial to XFS for my video drive, and instead of putting it on a
different hard drive, I like to stripe it across multiple drives for
improved throughput.

> 4) My wife loves the system, when it is working :), but complains that
> on DVDs you can't use the menus.  I bet this one is in the fact and it
> just requires setting up a different codec or player, but I have
> missed it so far .. so thougt I would toss it out there.

Try ogle or xine. They support DVD menus.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...