[mythtv-users]: video and sound are not synchron

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Oct 18 01:05:39 EDT 2003

On Thursday, Oct 16, 2003, at 23:14 US/Pacific, Frank Hilwalserbäumer
wrote:

>> Like Joseph said, got much else running on this machine? That could
>> have a major impact on things.
>
> No, nothing else is running on the machine. I tried to install only the
> packages which were needed for mythtv.

Is it a dedicated-to-MythTV-only box? If so, you might encounter far
less problems using some distribution other than SuSE. I like SuSE
quite a bit myself, but it just ain't the greatest for this particular
project.

>> Also, what capture resolution? You might try lowering that a bit, and
>> see if your experience improves.
>
> No, lowering the capture resolution an quality has now effect.

Hm...

>> And are you using the open-source nv driver for your video card, or
>> nVidia's own nvidia driver? The nv driver will put a whole lot more
>> load on the cpu when trying to use Xv, so you definitely want to use
>> the nvidia driver.
>
> I downloaded the driver from nvidia, installed it and reconfigured my
> video-card. Now tv buckless less than before but it still happens
> sometimes.

Progress...

> Mythbackend shows some errors:
>
> [snip]
> ioctl VIDIOC_G_FMT: Invalid argument		<--
>
> audio volume set to '65535'
>
> strange error flushing buffer ...			<--
>
> VIDIOCSYNC: Input/output error			<--
> VIDIOCSYNC: Input/output error

What TV card exactly was that? Not that it would help me any. I haven't
a clue what causes those errors. :)

> And mythfrontend shows the following:
>
> [snip]
> Your soundcard is not reporting free space correctly. <--
>
> Falling back to old method...

Hm... What sound card, and what drivers? Most importantly, ALSA or OSS?
I presume ALSA, as SuSE ships it by default, if I recall correctly, but
I'm not sure how recent a version you'd have if you're running SuSE
8.1. You might have to upgrade your ALSA drivers.

> How can I fixt these problems?

Oy. Good question. :) Check on the sound card drivers, and go from
there, I guess...

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE