[mythtv-users] X freezes

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Oct 18 00:46:05 EDT 2003

On Friday, Oct 17, 2003, at 07:55 US/Pacific, Bob Copeland wrote:

>> Okay, I thought so, but your message made it sound like you were first
>> using the nv driver before switching to the nvidia driver for TV-Out.
>> Me got confused. :) I can understand some high processor load w/the nv
>> driver (all scaling done in software), but the nvidia driver should do
>> everything in hardware...
>>
>> Out of curiosity, which version of the nvidia driver were you using?
>> Curious if perhaps it is another case of "nVidia broke some stuff
>> post-1.0-4363"...
>
> (Sorry for not replying in thread; I use digest mode.)

:-\

> For what it's worth, I get this occasionally too.  I am using
> 1.0-4363.  Other data that may be related: Asus A7N8X (NForce 2)
> with nvidia chipset drivers, Athlon 2400 XP+. 440 MX.  Can't
> look up my X version right now but it's whatever is in debian
> testing.  Using TVOut.

Onboard graphics, or AGP card?

> Symptom is I'll be watching something and everything will halt,
> top shows XFree spinning at 100% CPU.  It doesn't happen often
> enough to really bother me, but just thought I'd register myself
> as another data point.

Hm. I'll register another data point myself. I just replaced the
motherboard in my system, pulling my old MSI KM2M Combo-L and Chaintech
GF4MX AGP card for a Chaintech Summit 7NIF2 (nForce2) board. Everything
is gravy. Even better than before even, since my old board didn't
support a 333FSB (and I have a 333FSB proc that had been running
under-clocked for a week or two). Pretty painless upgrade, didn't have
to reinstall a thing, only had to go through kudzu a few times and
install the nforce drivers. For some reason, hard drive throughput
seems much better also. I suppose this is just another case of ymmv...

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...