[mythtv-users] Problems recording and watching at the same time

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Thu Oct 16 09:22:47 EDT 2003

At 10:16 PM 10/15/2003 -0500, Myster Man wrote:
>long post sorry.
>
>I have a two tuner system. One PVR250 and one leadtek card. I can record
>one show or two shows with no problems and I can watch recorded shows if
>it is not recording anything else, but if I try to watch a show while
>recording one or two other shows mythbackend dies.

 From the log info you posted, you are getting two sequential kernel
OOPSes, which report as involving these processes:

>Oct 15 19:07:39 mythbox kernel: Process kswapd (pid: 4,
>stackpage=c1549000)

>Oct 15 19:07:41 mythbox kernel: Process mythbackend (pid: 3463,
>stackpage=db919000)

Because the mythbackend one comes second, it is probably a side effect of
the first, and the first is connected to your swapper. So ... are you
running with an active swap partition on your drive? If yes, check to see
that it is working properly (properly formatted with mkswap, activated with
swapon). If no, try adding a small swap partition ... I once had a system
that would OOPS every now and then because it tried to use nonexistant
swap. I created a small swap partition on it, and though the partition was
never actually used by the system, its presence made the kernel happy (I
don't know why).

>My specs are as follows.
>Nforce2 motherboard using onboard sound with the alsa cvs drivers for
>the intel8x0. never had a sound related problem when I was running the
>one leadtek card.
>Also using the onboard video and lan of the nforce2 board. Same thing
>here didn't have a problem with the leadtek.
>I am using the pvr250's grey remote with lirc cvs.
>I am using the alpha build of the ivtv driver the one that the web said
>was probably most stable about a week ago. I am not using cvs. This is
>the driver with the pvr350 support, and I suspect that may be where the
>problem comes in as I get some messages that indicate that the 250 may
>be trying to switch to play mode or something.

If you do need to post again, please post with more complete specs (CPU,
mobo, RAM, hd size and partition table, as well as what Linux distro and
what kernel), not just the subset specific to A/V. This is a kernel-level
problem not a Myth problem as such, so needs more info for diagnosis.

Since this problem shows up at the kernel level, I suppose it could be an
ivtv problem (or , just barely conceivably, an ALSA problem). So you might
see if the ivtv list is discussing anything similar.

>I am attaching snippets of my mythbackend.log and system log with the
>relevant info. It is a little too deep for me. I would appreciate it if
>someone could point me in the right direction.
[deleted]