[mythtv-users] so confused about transcoding/resolutions!

Neil Konouchi nk at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 16 00:10:46 EDT 2003

I'll try and keep this simple: I'm confused about the differences
between the internal "transcode" function in Myth and the other similar
scripts I'm seeing pop up in the archives: nuvexport, mythmkmovie, etc.
What I'm understanding is:

- The internal transcode will reencode the original NUV into a new NUV
using MPEG-4 (playable on Windows with the DirectShow filters posted
recently)
  -- So this means that the shows will continue to appear in the "Watch
Recordings" dialog in Myth and will retain the Myth-generated filename.

- Nuvexport is used to create SVCDs and DiVX for archiving purposes and
must be run manually.
  -- Does this script delete the original NUV file?

- Mythmkmovie? I've seen the name come up, but I'm not sure what it's
used for.

I've been really confused since I purchased the PVR-250 (actually a
Freestyle) almost solely because I understood I can watch the MPEG-2
NUVs it creates directly on Windows (for carrying around shows on my
laptop). This works fine but I find that the filesizes are impractical.
On a side note to that, is there any way to force WMP to play shows
captured in 480x480 at a 4:3 aspect ratio?

Thanks for any help,

Neil K