[mythtv-users] PVR-250 Setting bitrate

James L. Paul james at mauibay.net
Wed Oct 15 11:16:20 EDT 2003

Lan Barnes wrote:
|>I'm sure there are several suggestions for where to run this at startup.
|>Somethere in the init.d process is common, rc.local is common.
|>
|>Personally, I made 2 shell scripts, mythstart and mythstop, and I run
|>mythstart after a 5 second GDM login.
|>

| -snip of description-
|
| Could you post the scripts? TIA,

There's nothing fancy here. It's basically just a macro to save me some
typing or forgetting to leave anything out when working on stuff.

I use sleep to put delays between some things to mke sure they have
plenty of time to load, I had problems just firing everything off
without the delays.

My nvtv and ivtv settings are tuned for my TV, your will likely be
different. I call nvtv twice with the same settings because on the first
call it always glitches and leaves a large gap at the bottom of the
screen, it gets it right on the second call. This only happens when it
runs automatically on autologin, it works fine with only one call when I
run it manually from a shell. I'm lazy, instead of figuring out which
environment detail causes it, I just call it twice because that works.
Note I'm using a patched version of nvtv to support positioning from the
command line.

I tried to put all the ivtv options in a single call for each card, but
found that it doesn't work. If I specify saturation and contrast in the
same call, nothng happens, no error and no change to the picture. If I
break them into seperate calls, they always work. This happens with
certain combinations of settings but not others, I forget which ones. So
I just do them all seperately now because I'm too lazy to figure it out.
#!/bin/sh

# start up misc
sleep 2
lircd
xset s off
sleep 1
irxevent&
mythbackend&
sleep 3
mythfrontend&
sleep 3

# nvtv section
/sbin/nvtv -t -r 640,480 -s Huge -S NTSC -C SVIDEO --set Contrast#:15 \
~  --set TVPositionX:4 --set Contrast:100 --set Saturation:-20 --set \
~  Sharpness:100
/sbin/nvtv -t -r 640,480 -s Huge -S NTSC -C SVIDEO --set Contrast#:15 \
~  --set TVPositionX:4 --set Contrast:100 --set Saturation:-20 --set \
~  Sharpness:100

# ivtv section
/in/ivtv/utils/test_ioctl -d /dev/video0 -c \
~  bitrate=3500000,bitrate_peak=6000000,framerate=30
/in/ivtv/utils/test_ioctl -d /dev/video1 -c \
~  bitrate=3500000,bitrate_peak=6000000,framerate=30
/in/ivtv/utils/test_ioctl -d /dev/video0 -y saturation=42
/in/ivtv/utils/test_ioctl -d /dev/video1 -y saturation=42
/in/ivtv/utils/test_ioctl -d /dev/video0 -y contrast=63
/in/ivtv/utils/test_ioctl -d /dev/video1 -y contrast=63
/in/ivtv/utils/test_ioctl -d /dev/video0 -y brightness=132
/in/ivtv/utils/test_ioctl -d /dev/video1 -y brightness=132
/in/ivtv/utils/test_ioctl -d /dev/video0 -y volume=65535
/in/ivtv/utils/test_ioctl -d /dev/video1 -y volume=65535

The mythstop script just has a bunch of "killall" statements to kill
anything started in the above script. Nothing fancy.