[mythtv-users] nuvexport without transcoding?

Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. gtgj at pacbell.net
Wed Oct 15 03:36:48 EDT 2003

>> I've been meaning to ask this for some time now -- what
>> exactly do you mean when you say mencoder can't understand the
>> MythTV's nuv format?  Does it not work on any file at all for you?
>> Does it work only on certain types of recordings?

c> Up through version .10 (I think), there was a patch for mplayer/mencoder
c> that let it read myth .nuv files properly (myth's nuv files aren't
c> standard nuv files - Isaac extended the format).  After that, there were
c> more changes to myth's nuv files that broke the patch's compatibility.

        As far as I can tell, the last change to the file format was
the addition of 'K' frames in 0.11 (July).  The patched mplayer
doesn't handle this but I think these frames only occur in transcoded
files so it wouldn't have broken existing functionality.  (A pre-0.10
version of mythtv I have lying around is also still able to play
newly-recorded nuv files.)  The next-to-last change was the addition
of text for CC support in 0.9 (back in March) and the patched mplayer
just skips text.

        Anyway, I'm not trying to promote the use of the patched
mplayer.  I don't use it anymore -- I was just curious about its exact
status.  It might be useful to someone interested in picking up
ownership of the patch.
--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.