[mythtv-users] Changing channel station names

James L. Paul james at mauibay.net
Mon Oct 13 11:31:15 EDT 2003

scut erky wrote:
| I had the same thing happen to me, with TBS, in fact and it was a pain
| in the ass.
|
| My only recourse was to go into the database and manually remove any
| record of the old channel and replace it with the new one. While both
| channels both appeared as 55 (or whatever), the new on was actually
| listed as 56 (well, 1056) in the database.
|
| I found the following text from either a post or the docs, I forget, but
| this is essentially what I had to do:
|
| "First, comment out the channel from the  /.mythtv/<sourcename>.xmltv
| file by inserting a "#" in front of the unwanted entry. This will
| prevent mythfilldatabase from grabbing future listings.
|
| Next, delete the unwanted item from the channel table so that it will
| not appear in the EPG or when changing channels. The channels will
| always have "1000" added to them, so for example, assuming that HBO is
| channel 15:
|
| $ mysql -u root mythconverg
| mysql> delete from channel where chanid = '1015';
|
| Old program data will be removed over the course of a week. However, you
| may want to immediately delete any current program listings for the
| channel that has been removed:
|
| $ mysql -u root mythconverg
| mysql> delete from program where chanid = '1015';"
|
| And, of course, I'd recommend backing up your database first, even just
| with tar.

Wow. I'll have to try to automate this somehow, and find a way to make
mythfilldatabase replenish again, maybe just for the change(d) channels.
This issue right here is more than enough to prevent me from building a
Myth box for anybody else.

| ps. May want to update your pgp key, looks like it expired on 3/22/2003.

Hmmm. I renew it for 6 months at a time. A "gpg --list-keys" here shows
it expires on 2004-03-17. I renew it for 6 months at a time, so every
six months I get an error that my key has expired and I use "gpg
- --edit-key" to renew it for another 6 months. I wouldn't even to be sign
a message with it if it was expired. ;)