[mythtv-users] Distributing MythTV playback to multiple locations.

Sean, Sharon and Kyle Harbour sharbours at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 13 12:48:46 EDT 2003

  It occurs to me that 3 tv antennaes and an old vcr will let me
broadcast to separate tvs with no extra wiring. The rca output from
the tvout on the video card in the mythtv box goes to a VCR. A common
tv rabbit ear antennae goes on the output of the VCR. Another pair of
rabbit ears goes into the alternate input of the other TVs located
around the house. To watch MythTV, you simply choose the alternate
input on the tv remote control and tune in channel 3 (or 4, depending
on interference). For remote control, a small laptop with 802.11b,
although a little clunky, would do until a better way using remote
control of the mythtv box from a wireless palm/wince/whatever device
could be setup. The palm size device could also double as the tv
remote using the IR port, so it could be an all in one solution. If
there is no interference on 3 and 4, you could use two old VCRs to
broadcast two separate shows simultaneously.
Of course, your next door neighbors might be able to pickup your
shows, so you'd want to think carefully about plugging in amplifiers
to the vcr outputs to clear up snowy reception at the back of your
yard. However, as far as I know it's perfectly legal as long as you
keep the broadcast power low enough.

Hmmm....Now you've gone and got me thinking...

Sean Harbour