[mythtv-users] Transmission timing with ir blaster to cable box

scut erky scuterky at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 11 23:24:02 EDT 2003

I've been configuring lirc (0.6.6) and ir blaster (actisys 200L) to work with a gi-motorola dct2000 cable box. I'm running mandrake 9.1 and myth 0.11 from rpms.

The lirc daemon starts fine, the lircd.conf is unchanged from the remotes/motorola/DCT2000 file and the irw and mode2 commands demonstrate that the ir blaster responds properly to signals from the cable box remote.

This trouble isn't with mythtv per se, but with the trasmission from the ir blaster to the cable box. I've searched all the posts and have seen hints of this trouble but no solution.

If I run
     %rc send_once gi-motorola-dct2000 CHUP
I see lights from the ir blaster but no indication of response from the cable box (a little light lights up when it receives an IR signal)

It's only when I send a repeating signal like
     %rc send_start gi-motorola-dct2000 CHUP

wait a few seconds, then
     %rc send_stop gi-motorola-dct2000 CHUP

that I can get the cable box to respond to signals from the ir blaster. The distance between the ir blaster and cable box does not seem to affect anything.

So basically, this looks like the ir blaster is transmitting too fast for the cable box. And my question is, is there any way to slow down the transmission from the ir blaster?

Thanks for any assistance.