[mythtv-users] Re:Re:MythTV compile problem w/ XvMC support

Chris Delis chris at delis.net
Sat Oct 11 08:04:38 EDT 2003

> > Hello Jarod:
> >
> > I seem to have XvMC working correctly with a dual-headed X.
>
> Cool. Running MythTV on display 0 or display 1? And can you switch
> MythTV from one to the other without problem? Just trying to get a grip
> on what displays in what configurations the nvidia driver will
> accelerate...

I'm running myth on the "TVScreen" (on the left) which uses display :0.1.
I can only run myth using XvMC on this display; I will get error messages
stating that I can't create XvMC context on display :0.0

Without using XvMC, I can run myth on either or both (Also, I can run
XvMC on the TVScreen and non-XvMC on PCScreen simultaneously).

> > Have you tried defining your TV Screen to the "LeftOf" the Monitor
> > instead
> > of "RightOf". I can't remember exactly why I did this (it was a while
> > ago) but it was for a good reason (not XvMC-related issue but something
> > else -- I think it was a "tearing" video issue). However, it might be
> > worth at least trying.
>
> It's not actually me having the problem. I don't use dual displays, or

Whoops.  I should have followed the thread more carefully. :-)

> even use TV-out at all (I use a VGA->Component Video adapter to feed my
> HDTV now). I was just trying to lend Harry a hand (but I think he's
> figured out something that works now). But thank you anyhow! Perhaps
> it'll help Harry further tweak his setup. :)

Actually, I have been only running the XvMC version very shortly (2 days).
Until just now, I haven't tested it much other than running LiveTV
for most of the day and then last night watching a pre-recorded show.
Everything looked great.

But Speak of the devil, I just found problems with my setup when I try
to switch modes (LiveTV -> Watching or vice-versa) in the same session.
I get those pesky "can't create XvMC context" errors and things go crash.
I can use one mode at a time, exit myth, then startup myth and everything
works OK.  But this is not acceptable so I am going back to non-XvMC :-(

FYI, I have been noticing mplayer use XvMC without error for 2 months now.