[mythtv-users] Cool idea: Use wireless PDA to control Myth

Jason Schloer schloer.jason at tangoinc.com
Fri Oct 10 12:33:06 EDT 2003

I don't think mythLCD is quite the place for it. I think mythLCD would
probably sit on top of whatever is designed and take advantage of it the
same way mythRemote or other modules would. How are others seeing this
work as far as an interface standpoint? Would the handheld mimmick the
TV display only scaled down? Is the handheld doing a scaled down version
of Myth? Does it present a separate menuing system with context
sensitive menus? Should it do all of the above?

I think a mythControl structure should be put in place which has been
talkd about a few times before. On top of this would sit a mythKeys, a
mythRemote, and probably mythLCD. By on top of I mean they could be
derived classes, or just call the mythControl class. mythControl should
probably give a list of currently available messages as an XML string
which each of the other modules could process and use to create their
input options. The string should probably give some context clues as
well regarding the current display state. That way things like handhelds
could alter their display appropriately so that for instance the volume
display doesn't show up when the menu is on screen, but does when
watching TV. At the same time, I think we should pave the way towards
being able to do multiple things in Myth at once, such as playing music
while watching the gallery, which is an often requested feature. It
would be nice to be able to edit the playlist on the handheld or a
laptop running a web frontend without kill the visualization, or the
gallery. So I guess there's really two parts of control, there's on
screen navigation with a "remote" and there's silent control of myth
using the "remote". I guess it should be up to the "remote" to determine
how to handle each type. The XML String should probably define which
available controls are menu navigation and which are background
controls. This allows things like being able to ALT-type the underlined
letter of a menu option to get to that option.

This is getting longwinded, and I was kind of using this email to hash
out how things would ideally work in my book. I'm not there yet, but
hopefully this sparks more discussion on the matter. Anyway, let me know
what you all think and don't pull any punches. Later

Jason Schloer