[mythtv-users] Mandrake 9.1 setup..any Suggestions (II)

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Oct 9 21:32:55 EDT 2003

On Thursday, Oct 9, 2003, at 13:14 US/Pacific, Jason Dinkelmann wrote:

> Hello:

Hello. Thank you for the new thread. Now I can respond. :)

> I have a pvr250 that I want to install in place of the win-tv card and
> I am
> thinking of doing a clean re-install of all of software and os.  What
> I was
> wondering is if someone who has used Mandrake for their setup would
> know
> what default options can be turned off during instalation and what
> needs to
> be loaded.

I'd start here:

http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.2

And look here also:

http://mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythInfo

Much of what you have installed that isn't explicitly mentioned as a
requirement in either of those places most likely isn't necessary.

> I want to clean up the boot process and get things loading a bit
> faster and use less disk space. Any pointer would be greatly
> appreciated.
> Also, if there is a good way to do this without re-installing that
> would be
> good to know too.  I am kind of new to all of this.

Load up Mandrake's package manager and start uninstalling stuff you
don't need to free up disk space. To speed up load time (boot time,
anyhow, not sure that's what you meant), disable any startup items you
don't need. That'll also free up some memory and cpu time, so it might
give you a little bit better load times.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...