[mythtv-users] Which CPU/mobo for < $100?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Oct 8 13:14:46 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, Oct 8, 2003, at 10:11 US/Pacific, Ben Curtis wrote:

> This will be a MythTV box, as well as replace my old linux box (P2 266)
> that runs my lowly website and some other nick nacks.  I've got a
> PVR-250,
> so capture CPU is no big deal, and a FX5200, so MPEG2 playback should
> be
> good.  I want the machine to be able to capture and view (or watch
> DIVX,
> etc) at full res (720x480) with no hickups and still be able to run my
> other background stuff.  Unfortunatly, I just toasted my P3 650 chip,
> so
> I'm in the market.
>
> So far I'm looking at (prices are per pricewatch):
> Athlon XP 2400 $98
> Celeron 2.0 ghz (not VIA chipset) $98
> Athlon XP 1700 $67 (hey, if its all I need, price is right)

I ran an Athlon XP 1700 in my box for some time, and it never had any
problem keeping up with dual tuners (primary is a PVR-250, secondary a
bt878 card). I could record two shows and play back a recording all at
the same time, so a 1700 should be sufficient for you. (I'm speaking
past-tense because I just upgraded to a 2600 to deal w/the HD content
from my pcHDTV card).

> Also, is it better to go with an Athlon XP in linux or a Duron or plain
> Athlon of equal price?

At an equal price, the Athlon XP.

--Jarod

--