[mythtv-users] blank screen + "Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!"

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Oct 8 13:09:55 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, Oct 8, 2003, at 10:51 US/Pacific, Kevin Bowen wrote:

>> i.e. NOT Red Hat beta. It is Fedora Core Test, v0.94, pre-Fedora Core
>
> Yeah, I know, I just didn't want to belabor the point on list when it
> was
> probably not relavant to the problem... or at least I thought so.

Okay, sorry... Probably shouldn't have said anything. There's some VERY
heated debate on the Red Hat/Fedora mailing lists... I need to stop
posting late at night... :)

> Are you
> saying theres something about Fedora that is actually causing problems?

Just that it has different package versions that may or may not like
some of MythTV for one reason or another. It should be possible to get
it working.

> I had assumed it was just that I had managed to screw up a setting
> somewhere
> in the process of upgrading... you don't mean to say that you actually
> saw
> *this particular* problem on Fedora .93 do you?

I don't recall specifically. But I did upgrade a test system from RHL9
to 9.0.93, and everything went to hell (w/MythTV).

> It doesn't seem to make much sense to me that Fedora could be at fault,

Changes in kernel version, gcc version, misc binary components, etc.,
were probably the cause for me. I can't recall exactly how I'd
installed MythTV or what I tried to rectify the problem (it's been a
while).

> since I built all of myth's requirements from source this time around,
> (excpet ALSA, which is still installed from the same RPMs which were
> working
> before), <dont really know what I'm talking about, just BSing>so unless
> fedora's gcc or glibc are screwey, I can't see what code from the
> distribution would even be involved.</dont really know what I'm talking
> about, just BSing>

Sometimes changes in a newer compiler break something... (I don't
really know what I'm talking about either; I'll just shut up now :).

> Can anyone tell me what the "Audio buffer overflow" error actually
> signifies?

An audio problem? ;p I haven't a clue. Have you tried changing the
"aggressive audio buffering" setting in your MythTV frontend setup
section? Perhaps that'll help.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE