[mythtv-users] Which CPU/mobo for < $100?

Chad Vogelsong cvogelsong at intellimation.cc
Wed Oct 8 16:01:36 EDT 2003

I would go with the Athlon XP 1700 to just save money.  That spec (with
enough RAM >= 256 MB) will have no problem doing capture / playback of
whatever you want at full resolution.

Also, I would stick to the Athlon XP's as the original Athlon's had some
heat problems.  Basically, they run really hot with no thermal
management.  If your cooling system is underpowered or it fails,
good-bye CPU.  Although underclocking it may help.

If you can afford it, go with the XP 2400.  I just got the XP 2200 and
use the spare CPU cycles to run RC5-72 code cracking from
www.distributed.net .  Can't let those cycles go to waste, right?

Chad