[mythtv-users] Success at last, now the minutia (MythVideo questions)

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Oct 8 00:18:32 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, Oct 7, 2003, at 21:03 US/Pacific, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:

> On Tuesday 07 October 2003 23:26, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
>> On Tuesday, Oct 7, 2003, at 13:38 US/Pacific, Graham Siener wrote:
>>
>>> Otherwise everything went smoothly.  I also took this
>>> opportunity to use XFS on my reinstall, and I've noticed much better
>>> performance.  I actually set / as reiserfs, and just /var as XFS on
>>> its own
>>> partition.  I used to get a stutter when a recording was ending, now
>>> it is
>>> almost unperceivable.
>>
>> Yes, XFS is rather nice for dealing with large files (by design).
>
> Just out of curiosity, what filesystem were you using before?

I assume you are asking Graham, but for the record, I was using ext3
before XFS. :)

I'll try to do some sort of benchmarking of XFS vs ext3 for the pcHDTV
card, where REALLY large files are gonna start cropping up and
performance might actually be a problem. I never had a problem w/ext3
on my main MythTV system with analog TV, but it takes a LONG time for
an HD program to start actually playing when using the pcHDTV with an
ext3 file system, and this is on a system with a 3x36GB RAID-0 U160 10k
rpm SCSI array with a nice Adaptec hardware RAID controller and dual
Athlon MP 2000 processors. (To clarify, the pcHDTV is in my
workstation, not my main MythTV box at the moment).

Once I finish getting all my antenna crap nailed down (tacking cable to
the outside of the house, punching holes in the walls, etc), I'm going
to do some XFS vs. ext3 comparisons w/the pcHDTV. I'm anticipating an
improvement, but how significant, I don't know. I didn't use XFS for my
initial testing, because the pcHDTV drivers won't compile against
Axel's kernel/kernel-source, so I had no XFS support at the time (I've
let Axel know). For the time being, I've switched to a kernel from SGI,
which is stock Red Hat plus XFS, so I've got the pcHDTV card drivers
working _and_ XFS now. I should have a chance to try this out tomorrow,
and I'll be sure to share my results.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE