[mythtv-users] Success at last, now the minutia (MythVideo questions)

Graham Siener gbs at alumni.brown.edu
Tue Oct 7 17:38:59 EDT 2003

Using every trick in the book (well just a couple I guess) and lots of elbow
grease, I have set up what I think to be a near perfect Myth TV install.

I used Jarod's PVR250 + RH9 guide for the most part, except I had to include
framebuffer stuff for my Matrox G400 Max.  I had previously posted saying
that most everything worked, but I figured out all the problems and I've got
the procedure down on a fresh install.

There was a recent post about ivtv and the updated i2c patch.  Jarod, if you
get a chance I think you should include this in the how-to, as it's "broken"
at the moment.  Otherwise everything went smoothly.  I also took this
opportunity to use XFS on my reinstall, and I've noticed much better
performance.  I actually set / as reiserfs, and just /var as XFS on its own
partition.  I used to get a stutter when a recording was ending, now it is
almost unperceivable.  I have also mounted a divx share from another pc of
mine, and it all plays nicely.

I used to use a keyboard with this setup, and now I notice an annoyance with
MythVideo.  When a movie is done playing, mplayer quits but it does not
switch back to mythfrontend.  This means my remote is useless unless I do an
alt-tab or click with the mouse.  Is there a way to switch focus back from
mplayer?

Lastly, any word on support for IMDB's new layout?  Also, is there an easy
way to play a two part file from MythVideo?  I know there's been a lot of
talk about this, I guess it will be in the .12 release?

Thanks for reading, again I'd be glad to offer help or config files to
anyone that has problems with this setup.  For the record, this box is:

P4 1.6, 256MB ram, 180GB hard drive, G400 Max, PVR250, Asus P4B 266, Redhat
9, kernel 2.4.20-20_29.rh9.at.

Thanks! Graham