[mythtv-users] TV problem with PAL and SECAM

Yannick ml.mythtv at free.fr
Mon Oct 6 16:51:23 EDT 2003

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 17:12:12 -0400, Jason Schloer wrote
> Actually this problem includes the U.S. now too. I just got the
> pcHDTV and since it uses ATSC for channels I can't use my other card
> at the same time which uses NTSC. So what are peoples suggestions.
> I'm guessing this should be moved out of the general settings and
> into the card or channel provider settings. My vote is on the
> channel's listings. It should be relatively easy to divide up
> channel listings in xmltv for different standards. How difficult of
> a change is this? I have some ideas, but I'll save that for when I
> have time and for the dev list. Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.
>
> Jason Schloer

 Hello Jason,

 Thank you for your answer.

 To describe my problem better, I should mention that I have tried to
 use v4lctl to control the TV Card device.

 It work well by itself, (Change channel AND norm correctly) but it cannot be
used as an external command within Mythtv, as it conflicts with mythtv...

 My wish would be:

 * Associate a 'reception norm' for each channel:
     Ex: TF1 is SECAM
         ARD is PAL
         etc....

 Each time you'll want to change from one channel to another, mythtv would
have to check if the current norm is the correct one. If not, switch the TV
board to the right norm...

  Are your ideas the same ?

 I've tried to setup an external script to do this task (.xawtv parser) with
it did'nt work due to conflicts between mythtv and v4lctl as mentionned
previously.

 * Did someone started coding something ?

 Another important question for me:

 As I said, the last (But not least !) problem that prevent me to install the
beast in the living room is the PAL/SECAM norm...

  Would it be (Temporaly of course) possible to disable mythtv TV features,
and replace them by xawtv ?

 I know that it would remove a lot of interest, but I can't convince my wife
that I spent money to get only half of the available channels in my country.

 So, for the moment, xawtv features, with all channels, but without recording
ability would be enough...

 Thank you...

 Yannick, tired french guy ;-)