[mythtv-users] ivtv failure on modprobe, i2c error on boot, RH9 machine

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sun Oct 5 18:31:17 EDT 2003

On Saturday, Oct 4, 2003, at 21:47 US/Pacific, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:

>> I doubled checked the lib/modules/`uname -r`/drivers/media/video
>> directory and ivtv.o is still in there.  I opened up synaptic and
>> double checked and it said I did have a version of ivtv installed.
>
> A version of ivtv-kmdl installed, yes. That's the kernel module half.
> You also need the ivtv rpm.
>
>> Some side notes on this, I am using the 2.4.20-20.9 kernel not the
>> 2.4.20-8.rh9.at  kernel that is suggested in your instructions.
>
> Shouldn't be a problem, but it isn't something I've tested myself
> anytime recently.
>
>> I used apt-get and synaptic to install the following after the
>> default install:
>> 1) apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
>> 2) apt-get install qt-MySQL
>> 3) kernel#2.4.20-20.9 ( package name in synaptic )
>> 4) ivtv-kmdl-2.4.20-20.p ( package name in synaptic )
>
> Crap. I think I've spotted the problem... Axel now has two different
> sets of ivtv rpms posted, one cut off 8/13 CVS source, the other off
> 9/29 decoder-alpha ivtv CVS source. While kernel modules for both are
> showing up in the apt package list (I'm looking through it right now
> w/Synaptic), the base package, ivtv, only shows the newer one in the
> repo. Both are still on the ATrpms web site though.
>
> What output do you get from "rpm -q ivtv-kmdl-2.4.20-20.9"? I'm
> wondering which ivtv you're running. If it is the older one, I think
> you may have to manually download the base ivtv package (
> http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/dist/rh9/ivtv/ ) and install by
> hand. I'll drop a line to Axel, but he's out of town until Sunday or
> Monday.

And if it is the newer one, I now believe it is due to that version of
ivtv not being patched to deal with very recent changes in the v4l2
api... Isaac submitted a patch that has now been applied, and I'm
asking Axel to cut some new ivtv rpms off the patched source.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...