[mythtv-users] Re: PVR-250 worth the upgrade?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 3 17:36:50 EDT 2003

On Friday 03 October 2003 07:51 pm, Ben Curtis wrote:

> > What do you mean the MX440 has hardware MPEG2?  Which card are you
> > talking about?
> >

> I was told the Geforce4 440MX had hardware MPEG2?  Is this not the case?
> If not, what about the FX5200, I want to make sure I get one with MPEG2
> support since I'm buying a new one anyway.
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

The only hardware MPEG decoder boards I know of are the DXR3, PVR-350 and the
on-board decoder on the Via Epia M10K.  There are probably others, but I'm
pretty sure that none of the consumer video cards (i.e., GeForce, etc) have
hardware decoders.

Perhaps you're getting this confused with the XvMC support for the GeForce4
MX?  This is an output enhancement only; it doesn't do any decoding.  My
understanding is that it can help reduce with jitter in high-motion scenes,
or something along those lines.

-JAC