[mythtv-users] Diskless frontend

Steve Davidson buzzdat1 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 3 13:46:07 EDT 2003

Sounds like a cool setup.  I've had a similar configuration running on
my Asus Pundit since May (so yes, there *are* others who are doing this
<g>) and it runs flawlessly.  As soon as I get some more spare time
(heh)  I'll get an updated version of my distribution out if anyone's
still interested (check the mailing list history for "Pundit/MythFE
distro").

As has already been mentioned, the Pundit is whisper quiet when it
doesn't have a mounted HD or CD generating excess heat.  I'm booting via
compact flash (CF->IDE adapter), but my current version supports PXE
booting as well (with a PXE-enabled NIC installed; the Pundit BIOS
doesn't support net booting via the onboard NIC)

My boot time is currently around 20 seconds (power on to myth frontend
available), and the distribution fits comfortably on a 32 meg CF card.
This is a built-from-scratch distribution.  Boot time could be further
optimized, I'm sure.

== Steve