[mythtv-users] Re: PVR-250 worth the upgrade?

Fri Oct 3 16:15:33 EDT 2003

> Yea, I was looking at the FX5200 and the MX440 as they are about the same
> price and both have hardware MPEG2.  I'll probably go with the FX5200
> since it's newer unless I hear otherwise from anyone.

I have an MSI FX5200 which doesn't have a fan (runs fairly hot though).  The card works well, has a DVI out (for future compatibility with a plasma...), but do be aware that it seems to be too new to be supported on older nvidia drivers.  For example booting Knoppix usually brings up a black screen.  Also, Win XP (if you use that for any testing), wouldn't do anything except call it a standard vga card.

I also see corruption/lockup when switching to the console and back to X.  It is OK if I switch back to the console and wait about a min (for anything to happen) and then restart X.

Other than that it works well.