[mythtv-users] Black Screen and Hanging when trying to watch TV

Andrew Hogue hogue at cs.yorku.ca
Thu Oct 2 23:38:42 EDT 2003

Hi,

I just installed and configured mythtv 0.11 and I followed all of the
directions from the web page but I am currently unable to watch TV using
it.

The symptom is that when I click on the TV button on the main menu, it
goes to a black screen, hangs, and sometimes a loud buzzing noise comes
out of the speakers...

I am using an ATI-TV-WonderVE, via82cxxx_audio module with an on-board
audio chip and a Redhat 9 distribution.

I also installed tvtime which plays the TV perfectly.  The audio however
comes in on the line-in as opposed to the PCM buffer... and when I try to
use aplay it says that it cannot open any devices, ...

I've installed mplayer and can play dvds as well perfectly fine.

Can anyone help me out with this?  Sometimes I get a message from mythtv
saying that /dev/dsp cannot be opened... has anyone else had this error?

Thanks for any help,

-- Andrew