[mythtv-users] Debian install SQL problems

Lorrin Nelson lhn-public at the-fam.net
Thu Oct 2 19:29:44 EDT 2003

Daniel Quinlan wrote:

> Quoting Lorrin Nelson <lhn-public at the-fam.net>:
>

>>Hi - Has anyone run the Debian installers recently? I'm having trouble
>>installing mythtv-database -- during the configure step, I get this
>>error and it aborts:
>>

>>Failed to execute SQL: GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON mythconverg.* TO
>>mythtv at localhost IDENTIFIED BY '\nYou have an error in your SQL syntax
>>near ''' at line 1 at -e line 8, <> line 1.
>

> check the value of DBPassword in /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt
>
> on my box it was (generated by pwgen)
> DBPassword=(hk66Ew%
>
> notice the unescaped (
>
> when /usr/share/mythtv/mythsql sourced /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt it died
>
> tv:/usr/share/mythtv $ ./mythsql
> ./mythsql: /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt: line 4: unexpected EOF while looking for
> matching `)'
>
> the quick fix is to change the password in /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt and redo the
> GRANT

Hi Daniel - thanks for the help. You might be right; my password was
;Xny)WJY which begins with a semi-colon and might explain the error
message I got that made it look like the SQL statement ended after the
opening '. But I still can't get it to work! Doh!

I modified mysql.txt to have a strictly alphabetic password, did a
	apt-get --purge remove mythtv-database
	apt-get install mythtv-database

But I still get the same error:

Setting up mythtv-database (0.11-1) ...
Database 'mythconverg' on host 'localhost' already exists, skipping
database initialization
Failed to execute SQL: GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON mythconverg.* TO
mythtv at localhost IDENTIFIED BY '\nYou have an error in your SQL syntax
near ''' at line 1 at -e line 8, <> line 1.
dpkg: error processing mythtv-database (--configure):
  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 255

Thanks-
Lorrin