[mythtv-users] PVR-250 worth the upgrade?

Nathan Poznick poznick at conwaycorp.net
Thu Oct 2 18:44:44 EDT 2003

Thus spake Jason Radford:
> I'd be interested in hearing how you convert your video, using mythencode.pl
> I dont seem to get very good quality, even at a bit rate of 1000+ to
> mpeg4.  What are you using?  i encode at 4m/6m on the pvr250 and it's
> picture native is very sharp.  I'd like to get something around 600 meg
> in mpeg4 that's around the same quality.

I haven't put a huge amount of effort into finding the best settings or
anything.  I use:

mencoder -o output.avi -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:preset=128 \
-ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=2000 -vop scale=640:480 -aspect 4:3 \
input.nuv

That drops it down to right about a gigabyte an hour.  Obviously, by
shrinking the size and/or dropping the bitrate you could get it lower.

--
Nathan Poznick <poznick at conwaycorp.net>

The ignorant classes are the dangerous classes. - Henry Ward Beecher