[mythtv-users] Debian install SQL problems

Lorrin Nelson lhn-public at the-fam.net
Thu Oct 2 10:56:13 EDT 2003

Hi - Has anyone run the Debian installers recently? I'm having trouble
installing mythtv-database -- during the configure step, I get this
error and it aborts:

Failed to execute SQL: GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON mythconverg.* TO
mythtv at localhost IDENTIFIED BY '\nYou have an error in your SQL syntax
near ''' at line 1 at -e line 8, <> line 1.

Could it be as simple a missing ' at the end of the SQL statement? I ran
mysql by hand and executed
     GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON mythconverg.* TO mythtv at localhost
IDENTIFIED BY '';
just fine, but that didn't help me complete the mythtv installation
because it still tried to run the broken SQL statement. I'm pretty new
to Debian, so maybe I'm missing something obvious.

I'm pretty sure I installed an older version of this package just fine a
few months ago during a previous attempt to set up MythTV.

-Lorrin

APT output:
spiff:/etc/apt# apt-get install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
2 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Setting up mythtv-database (0.11-1) ...
Database 'mythconverg' on host 'localhost' already exists, skipping
database initialization
Failed to execute SQL: GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON mythconverg.* TO
mythtv at localhost IDENTIFIED BY '\nYou have an error in your SQL syntax
near ''' at line 1 at -e line 8, <> line 1.
dpkg: error processing mythtv-database (--configure):
  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 255
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mythtv:
  mythtv depends on mythtv-database (= 0.11-1); however:
   Package mythtv-database is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing mythtv (--configure):
  mythtv-database
  mythtv