[mythtv-users] PVR-250 worth the upgrade?

Ben Curtis fmstratk at coronium.com
Thu Oct 2 13:27:40 EDT 2003

Hi all,

I'm about to assemble my MythTV box, and have a question about the capture
card.  I searched the mailing lists' webpage, but couldn't find a specific
answer, just that upgrading would save CPU.  I currently have an AverMedia
bt848 chipset card, and will be using an Athlon XP 2100+.  Would there be
any substantial video gains from purchasing a PVR-250 to do hardware
encoding over the use of the AverMedia with software encoding?  While not
bad, I'm not too impressed with the AverMedia's capture abilities thus far
(in a Windows environment, haven't moved it to the Linux box yet).  I'm
pretty anal when it comes to video quality, so I want to do the best I
can.

Thanks,
Ben