[mythtv-users] mythweb launching/streaming audio/video files?

Alan Snyder ax763 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 2 08:40:10 EDT 2003

I was initially excited about the prospects of
streaming, but now, the
problem IMHO is that it sucks up CPU on both the
server and client sides -
for encode and decode.

Ideas for alternatives:

For a home environment with Linux boxes: multiple
frontends - already done.

For a home environment with access on non-Linux boxes:
DirectShow filter - a
nontrivial job (someone working on it, I think), but
then once that's in
place and shares are set up correctly launching
through mythweb would be
easy (someone posted mythweb mods a while back) and
the server would only be
serving up the file.

For remote (low bandwidth) sharing: Streaming (server
side cpu use) seems
the logical choice.  Perhaps there could be a
transcoding option that would
keep the original but save a reduced-resolution copy
(over in MythVideo, or
a new MythServe?) ready for efficient streaming.