[mythtv-users] constant flames against people that are new to thelist - can't we all be adults here?

Thu Oct 2 12:54:22 EDT 2003

I have no axe to grind, but you make a couple of interesting points:

> > Heck, if it really chaps your
> > hide, just hit 'next' or skip the thread completely, don't add to the
> > bandwidth by flaming.
>
> Again, trying to inform people of the right way to do things, not
> flaming them.

Yes, but *I* thought that was what the definition of "flaming" was? ie giving someone a roasting for asking a silly question?

I don't have any comment on *what* you are doing, but you seem to be arguing that giving these folks a verbal kicking (see earlier part of your email) is for their own good, but that this is *not* a flame... I would have said that such comments *were* "flames"?

Anyway, if you feel the need, I'm not going to be the one to try and stop you.  Just making an observation...

> > But heck, I'm scared to death to post also.
>
> You shouldn't be. Just don't ask something that's already been
> answered. Thoroughly read the documentation and search the mailing list
> archive, then ask if you haven't found what you're looking for, and
> chances are, you'll be clear of all possible flaming. Too many people
> just aren't following those steps.

I have a controversial observation (based on people here at my work) that the difference between an "IT" person and a "non-IT" person comes down to an "IT" person knows how to read the instructions.  There is a genuine skill in knowing how to read and search through documentation, all the little things like searching for the opposite function (or something related) and then using the cross reference, "see also" type stuff, to crab sideways to find what you really wanted.

It doesn't appear to be that easy to "most" people to search documentation and find what they are looking for...  I think those that can do this have a "special skill", don't underestimate the value of this...

Anyway, I'm sure loads of people never try and read the instructions.  I have no comment about this, just an observation that some people find it much easier than others.

> I'm merely trying to
> express my point of view

I think everyone should be allowed one.

Have fun..