[mythtv-users] Plugins in scripting languages like Perl, Python ?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 1 17:59:20 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 01 October 2003 08:23 pm, Robert Rozman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm total newbie and would like to ask how easy is to extend mythtv with
> some additional, customized menus (particularly for home automation
> control).
>
> Has mythtv some sort of plugin architecture and can plugins be developed in
> some scripting languages  (Perl, Python) ?
>
> Any advice, more info, links ?

The Myth menus are competely customizable XML files.  You can edit the
existing ones or create new ones to your heart's content.  Take a look at the
default menus for the format.

As far as plugins go... yes and no.  There *is* a plugin architecture, but
it's currently limited to C/C++ programs.  However, using the Myth menus, you
can launch any program with the EXEC command.  Also, check the mailing list
archives; IIRC someone mentioned they'd done some work on Myth bindings for
Python or something like that.

-JAC