[mythtv-users] Bad quality MythTV playback

Richard J. Sands rjsands at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 30 18:47:46 EST 2003

Bad MythTV playback quality

When I watch live TV (or recorded TV) the quality is pretty crappy, there
are waves going across the screen, it is fuzzy, and some channels have no
color.  Certain channels look better then others and it is basically
watchable but nowhere near as crisp as it should be.  (The issue is both on
the monitor and TV-out).  I have run a recorded show’s .nuv file in mplayer
and it looks bad there as well.  I have tried things such as checking
deinterlacing, selecting Cable-hrc, /usr/lib/ivtv/test_ioctl -u 0x3000,
/usr/lib/ivtv/test_ioctl -p 4, /usr/lib/ivtv/test_ioctl -f
width=720,height=480, and /usr/lib/ivtv/test_ioctl -v input=3,output=1.

I have done a test capture (cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/test_capture.mpg) and it
looks good and crisp in mplayer, so it makes me think I need to tweak some
MythTV setting.  Also, playing a DVD in MythDVD looks crisp.

I have hunted the archives for a few days now and have not found the
solution. So please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks.
-- Rich

Setup:
Built MythTV following Jarod C. Wilson’s install Guide (GREAT GUIDE!!!!)
Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350
nVidia GeForce 4 MX 440
SoundBlaster Live 5.1
Maxtor 200Gig Drive
MSI VIA KT4 (AMD)
512 DDR Ram

Modules.conf

path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/updates
# default path
path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`
alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
alias eth0 via-rhine

# ivtv modules setup
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
options ivtv debug=1
options tuner type=2
options msp3400 once=1 simple=1
add below ivtv msp3400 saa7115 tuner
add above ivtv lirc_dev lirc_i2c

alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias sound-slot-0 emu10k1
# alias sound-slot-1 via82cxxx_audio
# post-install sound-slot-1 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L
 >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
# pre-remove sound-slot-1 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null
2>&1 || :
alias usb-controller1 usb-uhci
alias char-major-195 nvidia

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
# OSS/Free compatability portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
# Sound card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
# Save & restore settings
post-install snd-card-0 /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove snd-card-0 /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || :