[mythtv-users] Why MPEG4 and not MPEG2?

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Sat Nov 29 15:26:00 EST 2003

> I agree. I'm not aware of any realtime software MPEG2 encoders. MPEG2 has the
> largest player support, thanks to DVD. If anybody knows of a software encoder
> fast enough to work with live video with decent results I'd like to hear
> about it.

I can do realtime 480x480 encoding with TMPGEnc on my dual athlon
1900+...   But since I prefer the dual-pass method for svcd, it actually
runs in half-time.   TMPG is probably the fastes encoder I've seen, and
mpeg2enc in linux is probably the SLOWEST (about 8x slower than TMPG),
with the worst quality results.

-Chris