[mythtv-users] No Video Problem

Douglas Phillipson dougp at intermind.net
Sat Nov 29 13:32:32 EST 2003

RJV wrote:
> I'm still having problems getting mythtv to actually show the TV.
>
> Running LM 9.2 with Thac's RPMs and the proper XMLTV version.
>
> SoundCard: ess1371
> VideoCard: NVidia GeForce FX
> TV Card: bt878
> Processor: Athlon 2600+
> RAM: 512 ddr 400 mhz
>
> XawTV works.  It does take about 3 seconds from when the window is opened
> until it start showing videos.  But everything works perfectly after that.
>
> So, if I start MythBackend, I get this:
>
> [root at wernicke media]# mythbackend
> Starting up as the master server.
> 2003-11-29 09:51:16 Enabled verbose msgs : important general
> 2003-11-29 09:51:18 Found changes in the todo list.
>
> Everything looks fine there....
>
> So I start mythfrontend
>

> I've also tried to set it to record a show, close the frontend and return.
> The recording shows up in the listing, but there is no video/sound
> associated with it.  When I try to play it, I get "Audio buffer overflow,
> audio data lost!" pumped into the frontend console...
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>

> -- RJV --					..ooOO miracle at procyon.com
>
> -- Institution of Postgraduate Education - Graduation 2001
> -- Institution of Undergraduate Education - Alumnus 1997

I was told by one of the experts that if audio won't work, you won't get
video.  He was right (of course).  I had the same problem.  I installed
alsa sound, unloaded my OSS sound module, loaded the Alsa sound module
and everything worked.  Get sound working with Alsa. Use the Alsa
utilities to mute the proper stuff, route the sound from your video
capture card to your sound card and it should work.  I tested sound via
xawtv.  If alsa is working properly, the sound will be slightly out of
sync with video when playing xawtv.  Go to the alsa site for details on
your sound board/chipset.

Regards

Doug P