[mythtv-users] Stuttering/slow playback with mpeg 4

Jared Mason mythtv at masonfam.net
Fri Nov 28 16:08:26 EST 2003

> I'm having exactly the same problem.  I'm using a Wintv go card. Athlon
> 2200+ on a KM266 chipset, VIA 8233 audio, using MythTv 0.12.
>
> On another subject, I also tried to get btautio module loaded but when
> running make it says:
>
> "The present kernel configuration has modules disabled.
> Type 'make config' and enable loadable module support.
> Then build a kernel with module support enabled."
>
> I know this isn't the case thouth because I load the alsa module, so I
> don't know what the "makefile" for btaudio is basing it's conclusion on.
>

> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>

> Doug P

I just did a few more tests.  My last test was using Mpeg4 with a bitrate
of 6000 and an mp3 encode level 0f 5 instead of the default level of 7.
Unfortunately, it still started stuttering and sped up.  I was hoping to
discover that a higher mp3 quality level would be able to fix it but I
guess not.  I also made another recording using rtjpeg encoding and again
it works without a problem.

The real confusing part is that the stuttering isn't always in the same
spot in the recording.  It almost seems to be a CPU issue.  But I have a
powerful enough CPU that it shouldn't be causing a problem.