[mythtv-users] Advice Needed for Gentoo

Adam Wood AdamWood at Xephi.co.uk
Thu Nov 27 11:38:36 EST 2003

Harlan,

I'm really not an expert on Alsa, but... I'm using a via based board
(not an epia) so I use the snd-via82xx module. If I'm not mistaken I'm
using 0.9.8 but I can't check the box right now. The bttv card I have
needs a loopback cable from the video capture card to my line in socket
on the motherboard. When I first set up the box, there was no sound
which I traced to a problem with the "line in" and "gain" mixer
controls. I turned them up and had sound. Think I might have also set
the line in as the recording source and muted it as well. Without it
muted I got a couple of seconds of sound before playback started and
then the playback over the top. This is because of the buffering that's
done.

I've only tried the gaming-sources so I don't know if they'd be better
than anything else but they worked for me.

If I was to try to diagnose your problem I'd probably start by trying to
get sound to play with a command like:

#> aplay $KDEDIR/shar/sounds/KDE_startup.wav

This assumes you have KDE installed and the environment variable set,
but you get the idea. If that works then I'd try recording (without
myth) from the line in. Once you've got both of them going myth should
work fine.

I'm here to help if you get really stuck,

Adam