[mythtv-users] Avermedia M179 Good or Bad

Larry Matter mythtv2 at matter.net
Wed Nov 26 22:18:24 EST 2003

My Avermedia M179 showed up today.  I managed to get the video capture
working with not too much work.  I don't have audio working yet.

I also have a Hauppauge PVR-350 so I captured from both basically at the
same time and have uploaded both samples in case anyone wants to compare
them.

I captured using cat /dev/videox > foo.mpg,

These samples are large, about 17MB each.

http://linpvr.org/avertest/aver.mpg
http://linpvr.org/avertest/haup.mpg

It's almost the end of the month and I should have plenty of bandwidth
left but if it gets too high I may remove the files.

My personal opinion is that the Aver is inferior quality, but maybe that
is due to interference, driver, who knows.

Larry