[mythtv-users] Cool ATX cases

Wed Nov 26 12:11:16 EST 2003

> By the way, that CPU fan is the loudest component in my system, and it's the
> quietest I could find. I have no worries about the PS fan or the case fan.

Vantec Stealth 80mm fans are the quietest thing I found so far.  Papst are pretty good as well.

Try a thin rubber washer between heatsink and fan though. This often halves the noise levels.  To see this, try lifting the fan lightly off the heatsink and then push it back on firmly.  Notice the difference in sound?

Taping a little something on the big square top panel will probably help as well.  Big square steel boxes seem to echo quite a lot.  Any fan noise just comes straight out.  You don't need to get fancy, brown paper would probably make a difference, but just something to deaden the panel (Aluminum doesn't seem to be quite so bad based on my limited observation...)

Good luck!