[mythtv-users] Re: Alsa 1.0? (was: ALSA driver 0.9.8 does not work on SB Live cards)

Chad Coulliette dr_chad at cox.net
Wed Nov 26 10:23:17 EST 2003

Axel,

It works!!! Finally, got ALSA working on this computer.  Your 1.0pre3
rpms of ALSA worked great.  It was so nice to type "/sbin/modprobe
snd-emu10k1" and not see that frustrating 503 error that I have
wrestling with the for last two weeks.

I did not change the /etc/modules.conf file at all. It is exactly the
same as Jarod specifies in his guide, and the same as I have been using
with version 0.9.8 of ALSA.  So, that verifies the bug in 0.9.8 for SB
Live! cards.  I did have to use the -Uvh --nodeps options with rpm to
install alsa-kmdl, otherwise you have a catch-22 with alsa-kmdl and
alsa-driver.

I will go ahead and test it with MythTV 0.12 and let you know if the API
needs to be changed, but I would suggest you go ahead and post this pre3
release as an option for people to install with apt-get, so the other
MythTV users with SB Live! cards can get ALSA working.  This pre3
release is probably as stable as 0.9.8 was, if not more so.  Maybe the
pre3 release could be marked as "bleeding"?  They can always edit their
modules.conf file and revert back to OSS if the API needs editing.

Thanks again, Axel.  I appreciate all your work and advice in this
matter.

Take Care,

Chad