[mythtv-users] ALSA driver 0.9.8 does not work on SB Live cards

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Wed Nov 26 04:57:51 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 21:18, Chad Coulliette wrote:
> I finally figured out the problem about why ALSA would not work on my
> computer.  First, I switched to Fedora Core 1, as Axel suggested.  I am
> quite happy with FC1 and glad I made the switch, but ALSA would still
> not work on the computer I had designated to be my full time myth box.
> I switched to my brother's computer, which has an Audigy2 card, and was
> able to install Fedora Core 1, MythTV and ALSA without any problems.
> ALSA worked exactly as desribed in Jarod's guide.  So, I spent the last
> two evenings reading everything I could find in the ALSA mailing list
> database on this subject and eventually found a post that said ALSA
> version 0.9.8 has a bug in it that makes it not recognize the existence
> of a SB Live card.  So, I checked which version apt-get installs from
> ATrpms using "rpm -q alsa-driver" and its
> "alsa-driver-0.9.8-13.rhfc1.at".  So, my case confirms the posting.
> According to the post on the ALSA mailing list, version 0.9.7c does work
> with SB Live, but I cannot find any RPMs with that version of driver.

Uhhh... I've got a machine that speaks to the contrary...

I'm using alsa-driver-0.9.8-13.rhfc1.at on my FC1 box just fine with my
SB Live 5.1 card... What's the output from lspci regarding your SBLive
card?  (Specific to the EMU10k1 section.)  Here's mine:

00:07.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev
0a)
        Subsystem: Creative Labs SBLive! 5.1 Digital Model SB0220
        I/O ports at d800 [size=32]
        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1

The trick for me in getting ALSA to like my card was in figuring what to
put in /etc/modules.conf for the "options snd-emu10k1" line parameters
"extin" and "extout" ... that took me a lot of guesswork and googling,
but eventually I came across a page that gave some hints... (don't
remember the URL though...)

> So, I tried downloading the latest CVS snapshot of ALSA, but it will not
> compile on my computer.  It compiles quite a ways, and when almost to
> the end it suddenly crashes and complains about a syntax type of error
> in one of the C header files.  It looks like they have released a
> 1.0.0pre3 snapshot of ALSA intended for wide distribution.  Axel, are
> you planning on updating the ATrpms to ALSA version 1.0?  Jarod... if
> Axel cannot do the update right away, you might want to put a note in
> your guide so that people with SB Live cards do not waste a lot of time
> (as I did) trying to figure out why they cannot get ALSA to work.

Like I said - Go back with 0.9.8 - seriously - something of this
magniture would have been *noticed* on this list.  MythTV touches a lot
of hardware configurations and thus this list is a great proving ground
for a variety of configurations... ;)

	-I
--
                       Ian Forde, RHCE, CCSE, SCNA, SCDME