[mythtv-users] No Video Problem

RJV miracle at procyon.com
Tue Nov 25 10:48:22 EST 2003

I've got my myth box set up but when I run mythfrontend and try to watch
TV, I get sound only with a black screeen.

I've run mythsetup, mythfilldatabase, and then mythbackend.

Mythbackend puts this to the console:

[root at wernicke xmltv-0.5.23]# mythbackend
Starting up as the master server.
2003-11-25 08:41:28 Enabled verbose msgs : important general
2003-11-25 08:41:30 Found changes in the todo list.

Now, when I start up mythfrontend, I get the normal screen.  I can select
options and piddle around to my hearts content.  Mythbackend also
registers the frontend:

2003-11-25 08:43:25 Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
Unknown video codec: open: Invalid argument
open: Invalid argument

At this time, the screen is black and there is sound coming from the
speakers.  The mythfrontend console prints this out:

connecting to backend server: 10.0.0.30:6543
taking too long to be allowed to read..
taking too long to be allowed to read..
taking too long to be allowed to read..
Waited 2 seconds for data to become available, waiting again...
Waited 2 seconds for data to become available, waiting again...
Waited 2 seconds for data to become available, waiting again...

I've verified that artsd isn't running:

[root at wernicke lisa]# ps -aux |grep artsd
Warning: bad syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'? See
http://procps.sf.net/faq.html
root      3820  0.0  0.1  1824  600 pts/1    R    08:44   0:00 grep artsd
[root at wernicke lisa]# ps -aux |grep arts
Warning: bad syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'? See
http://procps.sf.net/faq.html
root      3822  0.0  0.1  1824  600 pts/1    R    08:44   0:00 grep arts

I've verified that my soundcard is full duplex.

cat /dev/dsp > /dev/dsp produces sound from the speakers.

I've also verified that nothing else is using the /dev/dsp device

[root at wernicke lisa]# fuser -v /dev/dsp
[root at wernicke lisa]#

Interestingly, the above output is the same regardless of whether I'm
running mythtv or not.

My Hardware: AMD Athlon 2600+, ESS 1371, 512 PC3200 RAM, BT878 card
?btaudio

Any suggestions?

-- RJV --					..ooOO miracle at procyon.com

-- Institution of Postgraduate Education - Graduation 2001
-- Institution of Undergraduate Education - Alumnus 1997

The opinions expressed in any email originating from this account are the
sole opinions of the author.  They do not reflect the opinions or policies
of any institution or individuals other than myself.