[mythtv-users] Mythtv snowing in Sydney, Australia

Matt Collins matt at clues.com
Tue Nov 25 06:04:12 EST 2003

> Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:46:23 +1100
> From: "Steen Andersson" <steen at steenandersson.com>
> Subject: [mythtv-users] Mythtv snowing in Sydney, Australia
> To: <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
> Guys,
>
> I've had great enjoyment building a RH9 machine based on Jarod's excellent
> guide, however, I'm having trouble with the Mythtv channel tuning in Sydney,
> Australia.
>
> I've successfully setup tv_grab_au so the TV guide is working great and
> coming up as the overlay when changing channels, however all the channels
> are just snow...
>
> Buy using ptune-ui.pl to flip through the channels while I 'cat /dev/video0
> > /tmp/test.mpg' I have found all the frequencies of the channels in the
> area and I can confirm that my tuner IS working ok.
>
> It just seems as if Mythtv is using a different set of frequencies to ptune
> or they are being translated somehow.
>
> The only thing I can see is different is that ptune calls the frequency
> table 'pal-australia' and mythsetup calls it 'australia'. Does this matter?
>
> Please help as I don't want a White Christmas down here in Sydney ;)
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Steen Andersson
> Sydney

Heya. I wrote a wrapper for my ptune.pl that recorded what myth was passing
to it so I could see - Myth was just invoking with a straight channel
number (i.e. '1' for BBC1.)

I'm sure theres a better method than my solution, which was a quick fix
to get things working without going back to the web for another 30 minutes,
but I added a hash to the wrapper like this...

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

%CHANNEL = ('bbc1',	26,
	    '1',	26,
	    'itv',	33,
	    '3',	33,
             .... etc ... );

if (exists($CHANNEL{$ARGV[0]})) {
	system("/usr/local/bin/ptune.pl -f pal-europe -c $CHANNEL{$ARGV[0]}");
} else {
	die("No such channel.\n");
}

Thats rough, as Im not at home, and the channel settings are wrong, but
basically it let me provide human understandable names (for me, from the
command line), and Myth numbers for each 'real' channel number. Then I
just told Myth my channel change command was the wrapper, and voila. All
ok.

Basically, make the system call ptune with the arguments you want that you
know work, and use the CHANNEL hash to map the argument myth passes to the
correct local channel.

Matt