[mythtv-users] small mythtv freezes ?

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Mon Nov 24 19:17:18 EST 2003

Bruce Markey wrote:

> Tako Schotanus wrote:
>

>> Bruce Markey wrote:

>>> Hello,

>>> There was a bug in 0.11 and earlier that would cause these
>>> after a channel change until you paused or rewound for ~30scec.
>>> If you are using 0.12 or later this doesn't happen but there
>>> often can be one or two pauses after a channel change (I'll
>>> tell you exactly why this happens then there will be a series
>>> of replies saying I'm full of 'it because it doesn't match
>>> what they imagine or assume ;-).
>>

>> No,
>

> Well, yes ;-). I was responding to the symptoms in the
> message above, not what you've introduced below.
>
>> it has nothing to do with one or two stutters after a channel change,
>> that's normal. This is about continuous stuttering that occurs every
>> second or so and is very slight but enough to be annoying. The
>> console is filled with messages about prebuffering pauses.
>

> The prebuffering pause is unambiguous that the player had
> to stop and wait for more frames. However, this isn't very
> helpful in pinning down why new frames weren't ready in time.
>
>> For me this only happens after a certain time, never in the beginning
>> of a recording.
>

> Is it always in the exact same spot each time you replay
> the same recording?

Yes, but playing the file in Windows shows nothing wrong or even different

> Does it happen if you use jump ahead
> to go that far into the recording or only if you let it
> play for a certain period of time?

Both, although a jump seems to worsen the situation.

> Does the stuttering go
> away if you pause or skip back once?

No, neither does restarting frontend, backend and doing a re-probe of ivtv

> Have you checked top,
> free, sar, iostat, or whatever to see if paging activity
> goes up when this is happening?

No, I'll try that next time

> On this last question, there was a memory leak for a few
> days last week. If you are using CVS from about a week ago,
> it may be that it runs fine until the leak causes memory
> to be paged out.

I know, I was one of those that found that leak ;-)

>> CPU usage is low enough (mostly around 30%) so that should not have
>> anything to do with it.
>

> CPU is a good first place to look but there can be other
> throughput or latency issues that would foul things up.
> For about two weeks during the solar storms I was having
> mysterious periods of slowness over my 802.11g network
> that would cause stuttering. I don't want to sound too nutty
> but me thinks it was Sun spots. However, that's not my
> diagnosis of your problem ;-).

Hmmm, sunspots, hadn't thought about that!
I'll do a spotchk next time as well ;-)

Cheers,
 -Tako