[mythtv-users] small mythtv freezes ?

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Mon Nov 24 17:58:53 EST 2003

Ken Bass wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Tako Schotanus wrote:
>

>>No, it has nothing to do with one or two stutters after a channel
>>change, that's normal. This is about continuous stuttering that occurs
>>every second or so and is very slight but enough to be annoying. The
>>console is filled with messages about prebuffering pauses.
>>
>>For me this only happens after a certain time, never in the beginning of
>>a recording.
>>
>>CPU usage is low enough (mostly around 30%) so that should not have
>>anything to do with it.
>>
>>-Tako
>>

>What is your hard disk performance like? I think you can figure that out
>by running hdparm; such as:
>
>"hdparm -t /dev/sda"
>
>and you will get:
>
>/dev/sda:
> Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  2.45 seconds = 26.12 MB/sec
>
>My guess is that if your CPU util is low, your hardisk might be the
>bottleneck. What is that number and if it is low it could be due to DMA
>not enabled on your harddisk or poor hard disk performance.

No, that's not it either (20MB/s). That would also mean that everybody
having this problem would have slow CPU or slow HDs which just isn't the
case. I've had other mythtv/ivtv/via-drv combinations work more or less
perfectly, it's just the current combination that isn't working for me.

Just to make it clear: I'm not complaining, just stating that the
current combi isn't working for me, but I'm patient and will just wait
until everything works ok again and maybe even help where possible.

-Tako