[mythtv-users] GUI size vs. video size

Curtis Stanford curtis at stanfordcomputing.com
Mon Nov 24 13:40:06 EST 2003

OK, I've seen messages about this before but I still think the situation
stinks so I want to see want others think.

I'm using an EPIA M10000 box with the latest VIA binary drivers for X windows.
This driver has an overscan setting for use with TV's which works quite well.
Of course, using this setting results in all the mythtv GUI stuff being cut
off on all four edges. Adjusting the "Screen setting" (i.e. GUI width, height
and offsets) fixes the GUI problem but screws up the video which was quite
fine before thank you very much.

My only choice seems to be to set the X driver to "underscan" and then try to
adjust both the "Screen setting" options and "Overscan" options to try and
get both the GUI and video to look right. After quite a number of tries, I
never could get this to look right. Not nearly as good as letting the X
driver to the overscan for me.

So, why can't we have a setting to "inset" only the GUI so I can take
advantage of the overscan setting in the X driver but still be able to see
all of the GUI? Seems to be a much simpler solution, at least for other
people out there in this situation.

Thanks for listening.

Curtis