[mythtv-users] how to get direct MPEG2 output

Mon Nov 24 09:59:25 EST 2003

> I tried recording 4:02 minutes of data and it came back to me with 151MB of
> data. I have a PVR250 card which should have instand MPEG2 compression. What did
> I do wrong, because it looks like it's just outputting uncompressed data...

That's about 5Mbit/s I think?  Which is roughly what a DVD player runs at (well, perhaps a little high).  Raw video is around 30Mbit/s so I think it isn't outputting raw video...

What you need to do is look at the bitrate settings you have setup for your PVR card.  I'm not sure exactly where these are though...  Try backend setup, and setting page in myth

Basically you have a default, but fairly high recording rate.  However, you are probably aiming for a rate between 2-6Mbit based on what others are reporting here.  Basically, video files are large!